hedges - screens - orchard (Christmas branches and berries) - topiary - rockeries (in Japan) - bonsai
The main horticultural species are :
- altaclerensis (hybrids aquifolium X perado) more than 50 varieties
- aquifolium : 300 or more varieties
- X attenuata : about 45 varieties (hybrids opace X cassine)
- cornuta (Chinese Holly) : 75 varieties
- crenata (Japanese Holly) : 300 or 400 varieties (probably needs to be sorted; many are very similar)
- opaca (American hollies) several hundred varieties but probably not very interesting for us in Europe.
- glabra : a dozen varieties (all very distinctive)
- cassine : 6 varieties
- vomitoria : 40 varieties
- verticillata : more than 30 deciduous varieties
- decidua : 15 to 20 deciduous varieties
Hybrids are also very interesting :
a) meservae (rugosa X aquifolium) called Blue Hollies
b) koeheana (aquifoli X latifolia) more than 30 varieties and the most vgourous of all the Hollies
c) aquifolium X cornuta : numerous varieties
d) pernyi X other species : " "
e) cornuta X pernyi : " "
f) opaca X aquifolium : " "
g) ciliospinosa X other species : " "
h) latifolium X : " "
i) integra X : " "
j) cassine X vomitoria X myrtifolia